Just one girl trying to not to drop anything too important...

Monday, August 4, 2008

View on What to Keep in your House

I ripped a page out of a magazine a few months ago, and it has been floating around the house getting crinkled and ripped and written upon, but the last sentence struck me as advice I would give (and take) if I was able and very motivated. If I write it here, I can both share the thought and throw out the scrap of paper.

It's from Country Home, March 2008. The article is about a retired couple who got themselves settled into a beautiful, smallish home:

"Her favorite floral painting holds a place of honor in the guest bedroom, awash in cool blues pulled from the canvas. It's one of the chosen few pieces that Joyce wanted in her life as she and husband Bill winnowed the accumulation of six former homes... "We don't feel like we gave up anything," she says. "At this point in my life, the simplicity adds to making everything seem bigger and more open. Now everything we need, we have. And everything we have, we love."

It's that last sentence that caught my attention. How novel to be surrounded by stuff that you either need or love. Not crap. Good for you, Joyce and Bill - enjoy your retirement.

No comments: