Just one girl trying to not to drop anything too important...

Monday, May 5, 2008

Panties and a Proud Mama

Today, the girls and I were out running errands - mostly centered around their wardrobes: dropping off old clothes at the resale store, exchanging t-shirts at the mall, picking up a free pair of panties at Victoria's Secret - oh, wait, those were mine. But now that I mention it...

Every few months the nice people at Victoria's Secret send me a coupon for free panties. I know and they know that the plan is that I will walk into the store fully intending to get only that pair of panties and be so overwhelmed with the beauty and desirability of the lingerie that I will be compelled to spend my Jazzercise paycheck for the month on bras and teddies and teeny tiny thongs in addition to the one pair of cotton panties that they are using as bait. However, I like to play the game, too. So today, I brought both girls in there without any restraints - no strollers, no straight jackets - Nope, FREE RANGE CHILDREN at Victoria's Secret. Interestingly, nobody tried to convince me and my 32A's that I needed a new bra. Nobody suggested treating myself to a nightie for Mother's Day. Nobody inquired as to whether or not I might like to try a new fragrance (which, by the way, they do display well within the reach of toddlers. Fools.) It was simply, "Oh look, I see you've brought two little helpers along!" Yep, gimme the panties and I'll have them out before you count to five. And did Ellie look cute walking out with the little pink bag.

But, I digress - my moment of Mommy pride came after the panty pick-up. Maggie said (inevitably) - "Mama, I have to go to the potty." So, we walked to Nordstrom because they have clean toilets and getting there did not require passing the mall's indoor play area. We went in, Mags went into the stall, locked the door and took care of business all by herself. As I told her and will repeat whenever I tell this story, I probably will not be more proud the day she graduates from college.

No comments: