Just one girl trying to not to drop anything too important...

Thursday, February 28, 2008

I Believe I Can Fly

In just a few days we will be flying across the country with both children, and I have begun my mental calisthenics and physical preparations. Using my Mommy/Zen Master powers, I will single-handedly stop the passing of time and will create a fold in the universe that will allow us to hop across the United States of America with a single step and a blink of the eye. At least, that is how it will play out in my mind.

I will stock bags with snacks and entertainment, perhaps procure a surprise DVD to be unveiled mid-flight. I will pack wipes, diapers, cheese sticks, stuffed animals, shiny things, treats, extra clothes, empty baggies, tissues, pretzels, and secret mommy props that will allow me, while in a state of deep relaxation, to anticipate and overcome any potential obstacle. My children will be rested, happy, polite and easy to entertain/physically restrain. If they are not, I will not get flustered. I will pace the aisles with either child as if practicing walking meditation - envisioning a beautiful flower growing up wherever I plant my foot. I will contort my body in the airplane restroom to either change a diaper or hold up a 3-year old while she steadfastly refuses to pee. If my husband begins to exhibit signs of stress, I will give him the stink eye and then gently rub the back of his neck, even as he wipes an entire plastic cup full of apple juice from his jeans. Without even thinking, the frown will disappear from his face, replaced by a gentle smile. And then, we will land, as if the entire flight lasted no longer than mere minutes. What does it matter that we will land in Newark just in time for rush hour traffic? I will bring my Mommy-Calm to that leg of the journey as well. My family will follow my lead - a veritable peaceful breeze blowing in from the west. It will be FABULOUS. I can hardly wait.

No comments: