Just one girl trying to not to drop anything too important...

Monday, June 2, 2008

Who Knew Strep Throat Came with a Rash?

Okay, so Mags has strep throat. The itchy rash that's she's had since yesterday morning was not a result of rolling around in cut grass at Fun Days, it was a telltale symptom of a nasty bacterial infection. Fortunately, she pretty much feels fine. No sore throat or anything - just a puffy, itchy red rash and a fever. We've just started the antibiotics and with some ibuprofen, she is feeling okay and currently making a "cake" out of dry cat food (I have just been informed that it's done and that we need to go sit at the table.) This is a request that I am going to ignore because I intend to remain restraining-order-distance away from her until I get back from the east coast next week. Knowing that she has been diagnosed and medicated now allows me to turn my attention directly to myself and how much it would suck to get strep throat while away from home. Jay must have told Mags on the way home from the doctor that she cannot come too close to me because as soon as I went out to ask how the visit to the pediatrician went, Maggie yelled out, "No Mama! Papa says I can't come near you. You have to stay away." So, she has spent her day eating popsicles and watching old Pink Panther cartoons (These have recently ceded the screen to Barbra Streisand as Dolly Levi.) Basically, she is lounging about as if she's on vacation from KinderCare, and I am crawling in my skin and trying to sterilize things in the hopes that the rest of us will stay disease-free. I did catch her yesterday hiding in Ellie's room eating toothpaste off of Ellie's brush - and I DID throw said toothbrush out, so maybe, Maybe, MAYBE Ellie won't get it. I know there were a few sloppy sister kisses at naptime yesterday. I don't know how long we'll have to wait to see if we've made it or not...

1 comment:

Gina said...

If you use a gel dishwasher detergent, put everyone's toothbrushes in the dishwasher. The hot water + the bleach in the detergent sterilizes them (a friend's DD had a bone marrow transplant when she was 3 month's old - this is how the oncologists told them to deal with ickies). Once strep throat is over, toss the toothbrushes and give new ones.