Just one girl trying to not to drop anything too important...

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Egg and I

This book is so funny, I don't want it to end. I picked it up at Powell's at PDX before my trip to Jersey earlier in the month, and I have been parsimoniously allowing myself a chapter or two whenever I have the chance. It was written in the forties (although you'd never know it, it's so freakin' witty - it makes me laugh out loud and read passages to Jay when he's trying to sleep). The author is a woman (Betty MacDonald) who married a guy who wanted to be a chicken farmer in a remote part of Washington State, and she tells about her life, surroundings, neighbors, etc. once they move to the country and start farming.

Did I mention how funny it is? Because I realize that when I say, "It's a book written by a chicken farmer's wife from the 1940's" it may not sound that appealing. But really - find it and give it a try.

No comments: