Just one girl trying to not to drop anything too important...

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Family Pariah


One sure sign that vacation is upon us (at least this year) is the coming of the Streptococcus bacteria. Sunday afternoon as I browsed the clearance clothing and accessories (at 70% off the lowest ticketed price!) at Fred Meyer, I felt a pesky twinge in the gland that it tucked into the left side of my throat. Although I continued my shopping, including scoring a new pair of Teva's for Jay just in time to leave for Hawaii AND a Timex Ironman watch for me (both coming in at $17.49), I knew in my heart of hearts that the true harbinger of travel had arrived. After a long night trying to sleep while riding on a wave of ever-changing body temperatures, I made an appointment to go see the doctor. As expected, the quicky strep test affirmed that a little bacterial infection was trying to score a free trip to Hawaii.


When I got home, Jay stood in shock and disbelief when I told him the verdict. Immediately after, I was put into solitary confinement. I avoided eviction to the as-yet-unfinished outbuilding - I'm not going into isolation out there until there's a proper bed, hot water and a big TV - but I did lock myself in our bedroom last night, which made for a couple of sad little girls who may think that their mother no longer loves them because I wouldn't kiss them goodnight.


As of tonight, I should no longer be contagious, and we'll continue the ever-vigilant watch over the rest of the flock to look for telltale signs of infection. The good news is, I feel okay - just a bit tired, and although I was going to try to teach Jazzercise this morning, I was (thankfully) relieved of that duty. I have a few more hours with the kids at KinderCare before I have to go into hiding again...

No comments: