Just one girl trying to not to drop anything too important...

Thursday, September 25, 2008

No, seriously - This is for real :)

So, Jay calls me on his way home last night and says that something happened at work that he needs to tell me about in person.

"Who got fired?"
"Nobody."
"Well, who was involved in the incident?"
"I was."
"Do you have any physical marks as a result of what happened?"
"No."
"But we're not going to have to sell the house and live out of the pick-up truck?"
"No."
"So, tell me!"
"You'll have to wait until I get home."

...time passes...

"Okay, you're home now. Spill it."
I'll paraphrase here: "I had a contract that had wallowed around on my desk because I didn't think it was a priority, and yesterday the CFO (- or CIO - or some important chief officer of some sort) finally sent out a message asking what the hell was going on and saying how the lack of response reflected poorly on the organization, yada, yada. So, I put everything else aside and worked on it for hours. Then, I went for a run at lunch and came back and there was an email from Cam (the bossman) asking to see me. So, I went to his office and he was busy, but he asked me to come back in half an hour."

...So, Jay steels himself for a beatin' for half an hour and goes back...

"When I got there, all of the senior executives were in Cam's office, and I'm freaking out a bit, but they tell me that I've been selected as the system office Employee of the Month."
"Are you serious?"
"Yep." (a silly little grin - with not even a hint of cynicism - splashes across my husband's face).
"No, really... because it's not like you're all that nice or anything."
"Well, apparently, some of the feedback on the nominations included something to the effect of 'he's pretty nice... for an attorney.'"

Here's a bit of the actual text that went out in a system-wide email today:

Congratulations to Jay O... our October 2008 System Office NOVA Award Winner! Here are what WINNER'S customers had to say:

"In our fast paced world of health care supply chain dynamics, Jay, the juggler (smile) takes the "extra" lead when things become critical. We've worked together on many strategic agreements saving the health system significant money, protecting the organization's interest/policy, and ensuring patient safety & physician satisfaction. Jay has the big picture of our behind the scenes initiatives. I like how he answers his own calls most of the time. As intimidating the title of "legal counsel" can be; Jay is approachable and willing to teach. "


"Not only protecting our organization's interest, Jay is professional in his workmanship and responses. He has complete trust of my department in what he does & provides. His expertise and viewpoint is valued as I discuss negotiation points with vendors with Jay as a key part of the team. "


In addition to the warm congratulations from the Legal Department and the NOVA Award certificate, Jay will be able to park in the Employee of the Month Spot in the 1919 lot for the month of October. He will also receive a jacket with the Legacy Logo and System Office Employee of the Month.


Did you read that? I thought maybe he'd score a measley extra week of vacation time or something... but a jacket? Wow. Jackets are for keeps.

1 comment:

Gina said...

And the parking space. Don't forget the parking space. ;)

LOL, when Brad got EOM at his office (and he was the first, I might add!) - he got $20 cash. How funny is that? Guess they robbed petty cash to give it to him.

Congratulations, Jay!!!