Just one girl trying to not to drop anything too important...

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Extreme Chemistry Training

At one of our recent symphony outings, Jay and I were perusing the program and there was an interview with the new young concertmaster, Jun Iwasaki. In the interview, he was asked how many hours a week he practices. He said that it was an impossible question to answer, but that his goal was to learn the pieces he would be performing well enough so that if someone woke him up in the middle of the night, he would be able to get up in his pj's and play the piece from memory at concert quality. Here is a link to another interview with the concertmaster - can't find the one I'm talking about online...

Right now, I am doing practice problems for my chemistry test tomorrow. Ellie is SCREAMING because she and Maggie are arguing over ownership of a particular "baby doll." It is Maggie's doll, and I have tried to sell the idea that Ellie is simply babysitting, but that only works for a minute or two. Someone just fell down in the back of the house. The dog is whining. I have little hands clutched around my left thigh. My shirt is being tugged, and yet: I have just successfully identified how many moles of calcium carbonate are needed to produce 1.21 of carbon dioxide under STP conditions.

No comments: