Just one girl trying to not to drop anything too important...

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Top Ten List - #4: Snowshoeing on Mt. Hood


This year, we decided to take advantage of the fact that my parents were here on New Year's Eve to actually go out and do something that required us to stay up until midnight. This is no small task for us - It had not been achieved or even "neared" since we became parents. For Christmas, I had asked Jay what kind of experiential gift he might like since neither of us could really think of another "thing" we needed. I don't know what kind of answer I expected, but the answer I got was, "I'd really like to go snow camping with you." Then, the love of my life went on to describe his prior snow camping experiences which included anecdotes like, "Yeah, one night Myles went too far off our beaten down area when he had to pee and he sunk in the snow up to his neck." And, "You know when you're snow camping, you can't build a fire because it will sink into the snow." I don't know where I fall on the general population's scale of cold tolerance, but I can tell you that upon first hearing the Robert Service poem The Cremation of Sam McGee, I felt like his kindred spirit. I like camping. I LOVE my husband. I am willing to try new things. But, I'm just, shall we say, "wary" about digging a snow cave and snuggling in for a sound night of sleep.

I really did want to take the opportunity to do something fun outside in the snow, though. So, I started Googling and found an outfit out of Government Camp that does snowshoeing outings near Mt. Hood Skibowl. I arranged for us to take part in the New Year's Eve snowshoeing adventure, complete with a slopeside view of the fireworks over Skibowl. A four-hour outing start to finish, and then a warm night at the Resort at the Mountain down the hill in Welches.

We had gotten to the Columbia River when I realized I had forgotten my camera. I kicked myself for that. We had gotten to Gresham (about half an hour from home) when I realized I had forgotten my hiking boots. That one was kind of an insurmountable issue, so we made the trip back with me feeling like a complete idiot and with Jay not saying much to prove me otherwise. Fortunately, the evening was young, and we were able to make the trip back, get dinner at Edgefield, and head toward the mountain right as the snow started. By the time we reached our room, it was starting to accumulate. By the time we got to Government Camp, the snow was coming down hard, the revelers were coming out in force and we were starting to worry about how we'd get the truck back down to our hotel at 2 in the morning without killing ourselves or being killed by some drunken snowboarder in a Vanagon or something.

Opting to live in the moment, we found Mt. Hood Adventure and met up with our leader and group. There were around a dozen in our party, and we got into the untrodden snow behind skibowl at around 10:30 at night. It was pretty magical because the lights of Skibowl illuminated the sky enough so we weren't completely in the dark, but with the snow falling steadily and with the trees draped in heavy blankets of white, it wasw easy to imagine we were in a more remote location than we actually were. After an hour or so, we got to a spot where we were able to build a fire (in a wide-lipped metal bowl to prevent the sinking fire issue) and settle in for hot chocolate and fireworks in the snow. It was awesome! The walk back was much easier than the trip out since we had padded down a "sidewalk" that we just retraced. We did (slowly) make it back to the room in time to crash sometime before 3 AM. The resort's restaurant had a truly wonderful all-you-could-eat New Year's brunch for a reasonable price with bottomless mimosas included (!!) Since we'd been toasting with hot chocolate and Rice Krispy treats at midnight, we felt entitled to indulge with our blintzes and smoked salmon. Then, we headed toward home in heavy rain, making it just hours before a huge landslide blocked the main highway between Portland and the mountain for days. Yep, a new year's to remember for once. Let's hope the year itself is as good. Maybe snow camping will make it onto the calendar.

No comments: