Just one girl trying to not to drop anything too important...

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Molokai - Day Two


Col: A rainy start to the day meant heading to town early for the farmer's market (the take: 3 papayas - I think - green onions, unripe tomatoes, "apple bananas", a truly unidentifiable green thing that is supposed to break apart and be sweet, 2 loaves of bread from the famous 10:30 PM bread run bakery - since we will never be up that late, and two free stuffed animals that Ellie selected from a basketful a kind lady had put out on the street.)



Still rainy on this end of the island when we got back so we read a bit and - alas - put on a movie.



The kids were tired and Jay took Ellie into the kids' room to nap at about noon. It's now nearly 3, and I have finally won the battle of wills with Maggie (see the photo of her sleeping feet in the bedroom). I wonder how long her nap will last being that it was three hours in the making? Regardless, getting naptime to work properly (or even improperly) is key to this vacation working well. It's the only way we'll be able to get the girls on island time, and I personally do not want to spend the next 8 days getting up at 4:45 AM.


One more thing on that - we got the kids to sleep all right last night, but I am a parent in a state of constant unease. While our proximity to the crashing surf is lulling Jay to sleep like a baby, to me it is nothing other than a potential siren song calling our babies outside to the sea. We have no way to lock the front door so the kids can't escape. Mags does not like the sound of the surf, and Ellie doesn't like the water, but both are fascinated by the new surroundings (a road is about 10 feet outside the front door in the opposite direction). Last night, I finally piled suitcases across the hallway in the hopes that if anyone wanted out, we'd hear them trying to break through. So, basically, I haven't gotten any good sleep since I must maintain my role as sentry. Jay says I'm like a CIA agent who can hear the sound of a pin dropping from 30 feet away.

No comments: