Just one girl trying to not to drop anything too important...

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Goggles, etc.

I'm wondering if maybe I should go throughout my days wearing my goggles from chemistry lab. They rarely seem to serve any purpose in there (Would it HURT to get table salt in one's eye?) - however, I did just manage to squirt Farley's steroid-based hip arthritis medicine into my eye when I leaned in and over-enthusiastically discharged the little plunger too close to his tongue and with my face too close to his mouth. The medicine deflected off his tongue and into my face. Had I been wearing my goggles - incident averted. However, right now that pesky ache in my shoulder has completely disappeared. I do have a desire to chase the cat, and I'm a tad drooly.

Ellie and I took Mags to her pediatric dentist today, which basically is like going to Disney World except the toys and snacks are covered by insurance without out-of-pocket expense. The waiting room has a giant flat-screen TV, nearly every toy from the latest Pottery Barn Kids catalog and a train that the kids can make circle the perimeter of the ceiling by pushing a giant red button on the wall. They can draw on giant rolls of paper hanging from the wall, choose the party favor of their choice to take home from the toy closet, and snack on frozen yogurt pops. Mags has been to this dentist a few times before and was looking forward to today - "I don't want you and Ellie to come in with me..." So, I sent her off with the hygienist - I peeked in on her 20 minutes later and she was laid out on the chair, purple sunglasses on her face, patent leather-clad shoes resting gently on a small pillow... while her teeth were cleaned, photographed, treated with fluoride, flossed, polished... The girls going to LOVE spas someday. Ellie just liked the giant Mickey and Minnie Mouse near the door and the popsicles. I mentioned to Jay that we should think about taking her to the dentist soon, and he said, "Maybe she wouldn't mind going to our dentist..." As if. That's like sending one kid to Princeton and the other to community college. (Not that there's ANYTHING wrong with community college...)

Jay and I went to a concert in Portland last Wednesday night - and it wasn't the symphony! We went to see The Shins at the Crystal Ballroom (a venue that I've wanted to visit since I moved to the NW - because of the legendary floating floor...) The concert started at 9:00 - with an opening band - and ended at midnight. On a school night. When I had a test the next day and a babysitter who's still in high school at our house. So, I paid for it. Standing in one spot for nearly four hours didn't bode well for my old back, and staying up until nigh on 1 in the morning caused me to miss not one but more like two nights of studying. But, I would probably do it again just to prove that I can still hang with the teeny boppers. It was good fun, especially since the ballroom is a McMenamins and half the room was roped off for "over-21" people who could consume the resident brew.

On a final note for now, this cold rain sucks and although it's been interspersed with lovely weather... it's just not enough dammit. I Want Sunshine and Warmth. (Of course this weekend it's supposed to be 90 degrees...)

No comments: