Just one girl trying to not to drop anything too important...

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Pinocchio and Super WHY


This morning Maggie came out of her room and told me that her sleeping bag had a rip in it. "Hmm," I thought aloud. "How unlikely that the sleeping bag could have a rip... Maggie, please bring the sleeping bag out here." And then I see that it has been cut with a pair of scissors that, well, God knows where she found them.

"Did you cut the sleeping bag?"

"No."

"Well, when did this happen?"

"While I was sleeping. Ellie did it."

"Maggie, are you telling the truth?"

"Yes, I am."

"Well, that's funny because I can tell when you're lying because your nose grows."

"What?!"

Of course, she had no idea what I meant, but it did freak her out a little. Anyway, as I'm pondering how I'm going to sew up the sleeping bag, since it's clear that Maggie's "Just use some tape" solution won't work, I turn on PBS as a babysitter. Serendipitously, Super WHY (I think my favorite of the morning shows) comes on, and guess what story they hop into? Yes, Pinocchio! If the gods are smiling on me, by the time the Super Readers sing the Hip, Hip Hooray song, Maggie will no that no good comes from lying. If only it could be that simple. But maybe.

You know, I really enjoy dealing with shit like this. Because truly, I have an innate love of and patience for repairing sleeping bags and the like. I do.

No comments: