Just one girl trying to not to drop anything too important...

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bounty of the Pacific Northwest


The other night, I was wandering around Fred Meyer before dinnertime while Jay stayed home with the kids. I was unenthusiastically approaching the seafood counter to see what might tempt me when the seafood lady made a storewide announcement - "Good evening, Fred Meyer shoppers. Tonight in our seafood department, we have some great dungeness crab for $2.99 a pound. Come over and pick some up for dinner!"

I did not grow up a seafood lover nor do I have the innate appreciation for all foods native to this part of the country that those born here often possess. I did not eat any seafood besides canned tuna and fish sticks until college - but I have come around, and as I approached the plump crabbies sitting on ice behind the counter, I started to salivate just a little.

I called Jay, who suggested that we get 3, knowing that the girls would not eat crab but figuring that we might want a spare. I brought them home (all $13 of them or so), steamed them over a little thyme and fresh lemon, grabbed a big bowl and a nutcracker and got to work prying out the huge, tender, tasty chunks of crab meat (no dipping in butter required for these guys).

I got mine for $2.99 a pound, but here's a link I found where you can get four 2-pound crabs delivered right to your door for only $140. This does not include $15 shipping. Yeah, you'd really want to be sure to enjoy those crabs.

I didn't pause to take a photo before we ate - I had to dig in while it was hot! I got a photo online (Photo courtesy PDPhoto.org) that shows the succulence!

No comments: